The Nest Thermostat 3rd generation automatically learns your daily routines and creates a temperature schedule to match your preferences. But you can turn off Auto-Schedule and manually program a schedule that changes your home’s temperature at the exact times you want instead.
When Auto-Schedule is on, your Nest Thermostat programs itself. It automatically adds temperature set points to each day of the week and changes temperatures based on your adjustments while it’s learning. Your thermostat starts learning immediately, but it’ll take a week or two to get fully acquainted with your habits and preferences. If you don’t like the schedule it created, you can always edit points in your schedule, or even reset the Auto-Schedule and start over again.
You could also turn off Auto-Schedule and just set a manual schedule, more like a traditional programmable thermostat. This article shows you how to do that.
If you turn off Auto-Schedule and only use a programmed schedule, you can still benefit from your Nest Thermostat’s energy saving and comfort features like Home/Away Assist, the Nest Leaf, and Early-On, but your schedule will stay just how you left it.
How to turn off Auto-Schedule on the Nest Thermostat
1. On your thermostat, press the ring and choose SETTINGS.
2. Turn the ring to NEST SENSE and press to select.
3. Turn to highlight AUTO-SCHEDULE and press to select.
4. Turn to highlight OFF and press to select
How to turn off Auto-Schedule with the Nest app
1. Open the Nest app on your phone or tablet. If you’re on a computer, go to home.nest.com.
2. Select your Nest Thermostat.
3. Select the Settings icon in the top right corner of the screen. It looks like a gear.
4. Select Nest Sense.
5. Select Auto-Schedule.
6. Tap the switch to turn it off. The green leaf will turn gray.
That’s it. Your Nest Thermostat is now a programmable thermostat.
You can change the temperature without worrying about extra set points showing up on your schedule, and adjust your schedule at any time on the Nest Thermostat
Note: Nest Auto-Schedule is turned off, but you can restart it at any time. When you restart Auto-Schedule, your Nest Thermostat will take your current schedule and use it to start learning again.
Nest Thermostat Installation
A Phillips head screwdriver. Nest thoughtfully provides one with the thermostat, though you may need a smaller screwdriver to remove the wires from your old thermostat.
- Turn off power to your thermostat.
- Label the wires leading into your old thermostat.
- Remove your old thermostat.
- Mark the position of the Nest.
- Install the trim plate (optional).
- Attach the Nest base to the wall.
- Connect the wires to the Nest.
- Attach the Nest display.
- Turn the power back on.
- Connect the Nest to your Wi-Fi network.
- Follow on-screen setup instructions.
- Set the temperature.
- Download the Nest Mobile App. Apple | Android